Grubbin' Goodness

Welcome to Grubbin' Goodness!

I'm all about good grub! I LOVE to cook. Nothing
makes me happier than to see the look of pure satisfaction on someone I love's face when I've filled their tummy with something yummy. I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen and tweaking recipes until I come up with something of my own. Icing on the cake is when I can do it on the cheap!

|  Home  |  Grubbin' Goodness  |  Reading Nook  | 

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chicken Chowder

I found a recipe online years ago on Mothers' Board and tweaked it until I came up with this.  It's one of our absolute favorites in winter time. I usually double the below recipe to make a HUGE pot since we devour it so fast.  Plus, it's fun to share!  I hope you enjoy it.  It's mmm.mmm.good! 

3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced/peeled potatoes
1 cup diced/peeled carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup frozen corn nibblets
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup butter
1/3 flour
2 cups milk
2 cups cooked/cubed chicken
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot.  Reduce heat to a simmer, add all veggies (sans corn), salt & pepper.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add corn and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes. In a separate saucepan melt butter, add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to make a roux.  (Add more flour for thicker chowder., we like it thick so I always add a few tbsp more)   Stir in milk and cook over medium/low heat.  Stir frequently to thicken, do not boil.  Once thickened to liking, add to veggies/broth.  Add chicken and continue to cook another 10 minutes or until heated through.  Remove from heat and add cheese.  Stir until melted.  Serve with sourdough buttered bread.

No comments: