Grubbin' Goodness

Welcome to Grubbin' Goodness!

I'm all about good grub! I LOVE to cook. Nothing
makes me happier than to see the look of pure satisfaction on someone I love's face when I've filled their tummy with something yummy. I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen and tweaking recipes until I come up with something of my own. Icing on the cake is when I can do it on the cheap!

|  Home  |  Grubbin' Goodness  |  Reading Nook  | 

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Grandma's Chili...sort of!

My Grandma made delicious chili!  I've taken her recipe as the foundation and tweaked it a bit to make my own.

1 lb bag pinto beans
1 small can tomato paste
1 lb ground beef
3 slices of bacon diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can drained diced jalapenos (less for less heat)
1 packet chili seasoning
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 bottle of beer (prefer to use a lager)

Soak beans in pot of water overnight.  (I'm not sure if it's fact or myth, but apparently it reduces the gassiness of the beans!).  Day 2 Drain the beans, put them in a large pot and cover with 2 inches of water.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours.  Add more water if needed. After 2 hours add in bacon and simmer for 2 more hours.  In a separate skillet brown ground beef along with bell pepper and onion.  When thoroughly browned, add in tomato paste and seasoning.  Once combined, add meat/paste mixture into beans.  Stir to combine.  Add tomatoes, jalapenos, and beer.  Cook on low for another 30 minutes to an hour. Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese and fritos.  Enjoy!

No comments: